Historical Background

INTRODUCTION
Kenya Coast National Polytechnic formally Mombasa Technical Training Institute (Mombasa TTI) is located in the Coastal town of Mombasa. It was established in 1950 as a Technical High School. Upon the introduction of the 8-4-4 system of education, it was elevated to a middle level technical college in 1984 to provide technical training for the middle level man power for both the private and public sectors of the economy. The trainees in the Polytechnic are drawn from fresh secondary school leavers, graduates from other tertiary institutions, employees on part-time release basis and the informal (Jua Kali) sector.
Kenya Coast National Polytechnic is managed by a Council, which consists of 8 members appointed by the Government to represent the community, industrialists, professionals and various governmental departments. The Chief Principal serves as the Secretary to the Council. The Polytechnic operates under the Education Act, TVET Act as well as other relevant laws. It offers curriculum developed by the Kenya Institute of curriculum development (KICD), National Industrial Training Authority (NITA), Kenya Accountants and Secretaries National Examinations Board (KASNEB), Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST), among others. Kenya Coast National Polytechnic offers courses at Artisan, Craft and Diploma levels, plus a wide range of short-term certificate courses in the part-time programme. All the courses offered at Craft and Diploma levels incorporate Entrepreneurship Training and Industrial Attachment to prepare the trainees for formal and self-employment.
Kenya Coast National Polytechnic is a member of the Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions (KATTI). Kenya Coast National Polytechnic has seen tremendous growth in terms of courses offered and student enrollment from an initial population of 23 students and 24 teaching staff in 1990 to over 5000 students and over 100 teaching staff presently.